Top 5 Historic Towns in Croatia
Croatia is by far one of the most captivating destinations in the world, but one way that makes exploring this stunning sun-soaked country even more unbelievable is exploring it by sea. In our mind, there’s no better way to explore the best places to visit in Croatia than on a sailing holiday with the ability to check out remote hidden gems in each place only experienced by boat. That’s why we’ve put together a list of our top 5 historic towns in Croatia you won’t want to miss!
1. Stroll through captivating Trogir
Trogir is often overlooked when travelers come to Split, yet this whimsical town is not one to miss. With its quaint and fantastical feel, it’s definitely one of the Top 5 Historic Towns in Croatia.
- Find the local musicians filling the Romanesque, Baroque and Renaissance-style laneways with tunes of accordion or guitar.
- Sip a coffee and watch the boats cruise along the shimmering harbour at a cafe inside an old Venetian ruin.
- Visit the Kamerlengo Fortress to experience the centuries-old importance of the town.
2. Feel the magic of Korčula Town
Korčula Town, sometimes referred to as “Little Dubrovnik” has its own charm and history to uncover. This fish-shaped fortified Venetian town is flowing with history, and though it’s smaller than some destinations, you can spend hours wandering the streets entranced by it.
- Sip a refreshing cocktail atop an ancient defensive turret while your drinks are brought up on a pulley system.
- Sit by the waterside (and cannonside) for dinner beneath the lantern-lined pines along the fortifications.
- Head up the spiral stairs in the Cathedral of Saint Mark to the belltower for 360 degrees of stunning views.
- Visit the supposed house of Marco Polo, famed explorer and adventurer.
3. Experience the nightlife of Hvar
Though Hvar town is absolutely beautiful during the day with sun-soaked Venetian architecture and a colossal hilltop fortress, the nightlife and cuisine scene are what make one it one of the top 5 historic towns in Croatia. It’s a place to dress your best and dive into the tastiest Dalmatian recipes and exciting Croatian fusion.
- Discover hidden farm-to-bar cocktail tavernas serving up tantalising drinks from local ingredients.
- Overindulge in delicious Dalmatian specialties just beneath the shadows of 13th-century villas.
- Dance the night away on the ancient streets of Hvar in alleyway clubs like Kiva Kiva bar.
4. The storybook streets of Stari Grad
One of the oldest towns in Europe, Stari Grad on Hvar island is an off-the-tourist path destination overflowing with charm. Surrounded by dramatic mountains and vibrant pines, Stari Grad and its lush landscapes are just like a fairytale and an easy choice for our top 5 historic towns in Croatia. And of course, we can’t forget one of the most amazing experiences in Croatia: A visit to the UNESCO protected Hora Farm for a sunset wine tasting in Stari Grad Plain.
- Get lost in the labyrinth of laneways to cool off, gelato in hand of course.
- Explore the picturesque promenade and pick out a perfect spot for a cocktail or coffee.
- Check out the historic palace and Roman gardens.
- Hike to the top of Glavica Hill for panoramic views of Stari Grad.
5. Get Lost in the Awe of Dubrovnik
It’s hard to put into words the magic that Dubrovnik holds, so it’s a place we will go a bit cliche and say it’s something you simply have to see to believe. Though one thing is for certain, you’ll need to constantly be picking your jaw up off the ground!
- Sip some cocktails cliffside while watching the daring ones take the leap of faith into the water off a cliff just a few feet away.
- Stroll along the sprawling ancient fortifications encircling the fairytale terracotta villas of the Old Town.
- Hop in a kayak and paddle around the captivating coastline and walls for a once-in-a-lifetime activity.
- Get lost in the serpentine laneways to find yourself just the right spot for a tasty afternoon bite.
- Head up in the cable car to the top of Mount Srd for breathtaking birds-eye views of Dubrovnik and catch a fiery sunset overlooking the Adriatic islands.
Experience these mind-blowing Croatian destinations for yourself in the most unique way and book your MedSailors Croatia sailing holiday today!